5 potatoes boiled and coarsely mashed
8-10 cloves of garlic
1 big piece ginger
5 green chillies
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 and 1/2 tablespoon oil
1 and 1/2 cup gram flour
salt to taste
1 tablespoon cornflour
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
For the filling:
– Grind all three aromatics (garlic, ginger and green chillies) together into a coarse paste.
– Heat 1 & 1/2 tbsp. oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds. Once they start spluttering, add asafoetida (heeng) and curry leaves. Add the ginger, chilli and garlic paste. Saute it for a minute.
– Add coarsely mashed potatoes and the remaining seasoning ingredients (turmeric powder, salt and coriander leaves). Mix well.
– Keep the potato filling aside and let it cool down completely.
For the batter:
– In a mixing bowl, add gram flour, 1 tbsp. cornflour, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder, 1/4 tsp. asafoetida or heeng and salt to taste. Add water and whisk it into a smooth pouring consistency batter.