Batata Vada – Potato Dumplings – Indian Fast Food
5 potatoes boiled and coarsely mashed
8-10 cloves of garlic
1 big piece ginger
5 green chillies
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 and 1/2 tablespoon oil
1 and 1/2 cup gram flour
salt to taste
1 tablespoon cornflour
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
For the filling:
– Grind all three aromatics (garlic, ginger and green chillies) together into a coarse paste.
– Heat 1 & 1/2 tbsp. oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds. Once they start spluttering, add asafoetida (heeng) and curry leaves. Add the ginger, chilli and garlic paste. Saute it for a minute.
– Add coarsely mashed potatoes and the remaining seasoning ingredients (turmeric powder, salt and coriander leaves). Mix well.
– Keep the potato filling aside and let it cool down completely.
For the batter:
– In a mixing bowl, add gram flour, 1 tbsp. cornflour, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder, 1/4 tsp. asafoetida or heeng and salt to taste. Add water and whisk it into a smooth pouring consistency batter.
– Make 1 & 1/2 inch balls of potato filling.
– Just before frying, add 2 pinches of soda bicarbonate into the batter. Pour some hot oil over it and let it react and mix it together.
– Dip the potato balls well into the batter and add them to the hot oil.
– Fry them on a medium flame. Let them turn golden brown. Flip them well.
– Remove the ready vadas on a kitchen towel so that all the excess oil is absorbed.
– Serve them hot with coriander mint chutney and spicy garlic chutney